Thursday, May 6, 2010

Planning for the "Trip of a Lifetime"

Yes, the "trip of a lifetime" - as in, the cliche trek to Europe that thousands of other citizens of the world have taken. I hate the term "backpacking" - we won't even be bringing backpacks anyway. In any case, I will be going in 11 days and staying for 5 weeks.

...I do hate that it's seen as cliche. I mean, people react when you say you're going to Europe for five weeks. Either they're worried for me and get grossed out at the idea of staying at different hostels for that long (old people), or they're excited for me (young people). So most people haven't been too snobbish about my choice of trip. But lately, I've been realizing how cliche it is (although maybe not for people from Hawaii, like myself). So many people have done this before me - it's not original at all, is it?

Well, it is. It's original because I've never done it before, and I have goals and I'm more interested in the local spots than the touristy ones (although I'll be going to so many - still a great thing!). This whole process of planning has been way more challenging than I could have imagined. There are so many details to plan, and things to synchronize that it's amazing we've made it this far - and it's becoming a reality. I can only thank God for granting me this opportunity to go on this journey that's so exotic for me, being from an island clear across the globe from that continent.

Speaking of God...one of my most significant goals for this trip is to get right with God. Aside from a few small travel books, I'm going to be bringing my Bible, journal, and C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. I want this trip to be a time of exploration, not only of other cultures, lifestyles, geographical beauty, but also of my relationship with Him. It's not a mission trip, but I will have a mission. Without Him helping me through every decision and being with me for every moment, I won't make it through. Thankfully, He is faithful, He is gracious, and He's staying with me. I'm going to have to rely on Him for so many uncertain things.
[Please excuse my obnoxious cliches]

We have the majority of our lodging already taken care of (just not Italy).
There are some last minute things to do, get, figure out. For instance, I just found out today my bank charges 2% for every purchase I make internationally with my Check card :/ And! If I withdraw money from an international ATM, it's $5 each time. Boo! I guess I'll have to work with what I got. Hopefully the euro will go down soon (sorry Europeans!).

Please keep me and Chrystalle in your prayers.
thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment